Tutorial on VGA passthrough using kvm and OVFM / UEFI

My subjects of interest Forums Linux Virtualization Tutorial on VGA passthrough using kvm and OVFM / UEFI

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by DeFu Wang DeFu Wang 2 months ago.

• Author
    Heiko Sieger
    Heiko Sieger
    Participant

Just published a tutorial on how to create a Windows 10 virtual machine on a Linux Mint / Ubuntu PC using VGA passthrough – see Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough. The Windows VM has about the same performance as if it were running directly on the same hardware.

I’m using this technology now for 5 years, doing extensive photo RAW file processing in Lightroom, panorama stitching, HDR and other CPU and resource intensive tasks – everything in a Windows virtual machine.

Life is good.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Heiko Sieger Heiko Sieger.
    Heiko Sieger
    Heiko Sieger
    Participant

Just updated the tutorial Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough and fixed the Troubleshooting section, Crimson driver / BSOD fix.

DeFu Wang
    DeFu Wang
    Participant

Great tutorial! Works great!
    Tried some of the others you mentioned, but to no avail.
    The only thing lacking is the ability to manage it with virt-manager.
    Any hints on converting the startup script to work there?

(I have tried launching the vm, and running virsh to try to import it, it always says my machine doesn’t exist, and that no qemu instances are running, but it happily manages my Android vm created by virt-manager.)

Note: I am using SEABIOS, as I don’t have a UEFI machine.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.