I did some overclocking (to 4.2 GHZ) and gave the CPU and memory a trial using Prime95 and other torture tests. Later, much later, I realised that part of my memory was gone!
Checking the BIOS showed memory failures of two of 8 modules, reducing my total to 24GB. I’m not sure it was the overclocking, the torture tests or simply old age (the PC and memory is 6 years old). The funny thing was that I could boot into Linux and run some applications, and whenever I used Firefox I would sooner or later get a freeze. I monitored the processes and saw that the kswapd demon was busy. It took me a little to grasp that I had “lost” memory. Continue reading “Memory Failure”